Internists are the ones who take care of adults. At times, they also facilitate other age groups. Internal medical specialties are of 11 subtypes. What are these? Why they are used? Who uses them? You will get to know about all that in this blog post.
08 Out of 11 Internal Medical Specialties
There are several sub-specialties in internal medicine. Some of them are mentioned below in detail.
- Cardiology – cardiologists take care of blood vessels and the heart. Whatever a person can experience in regard to heart concerns are catered by these doctors. Congestive heart failure which is also called CHF is monitored and prevented by cardiologists.
- Hematology – they are also called oncologists. The main responsibility of these doctors is to consult cancer patients. Other than that, blood disorders are also checked as diagnosed, treated, and prevented by these professionals. However, you should know these are not the surgeons. But if a patient has a tumor in the brain, a hematologist is the one who carries out a surgery. Chemotherapy can be administered by these professionals.
- Pulmonology – these are the internal medicine specialists who deal with lungs associated illnesses or diseases. It may include asthma and chronic bronchitis. Interestingly, pulmonologists also treat patients with sleep problems.
- Hepatology – liver is the main focus of hepatologists. However, a GI can also check the patient with liver-related health care problems. But hepatologists are the ones who have an extra license and degree to cater to patients with liver problems. Especially when it comes to hepatitis, these are the doctors who treat the patients.
- Endocrinologist – gland, and hormones need some treatments and diagnosis, right? In case a patient comes in for a consultation and finds no way out to treat the concern. He is taken for lab tests. From there, endocrinologists take care of the patient. Diabetes, thyroid gland malfunctioning, and similar problems are handled by these doctors.
- Gastroenterology – digestive matters like stomach, pancreas, large and small intestine, or liver are facilitated by these doctors who are also called GI. Other than that, GI takes care of patients who suffer indigestion, chronic diarrhea, bowel syndrome, extreme heartburn, etc.
- Geriatrics – they are typically for elderly patients. Interestingly, it is noticed that people who are above 80 years of age see geriatricians. These doctors deal with patients who have dementia or any similar type of health issue. Since they have patients who are too old, they even make a visit to their house for the best support and care.
- Nephrology – kidney issues are understood, diagnosed, treated, and prevented by nephrologists. Problems that are related to kidneys include kidney failure and kidney damage. When a kidney collapses or is damaged, the patient is treated through dialysis. In the treatment, electrolytes, water, and other waste products are controlled and managed. Please remember that urologists are also part of internal medicine. These internal medical specials are taken as the best doctors in their field.