The method and process that aids in the detection as well as prevention of serious diseases or medical conditions, before they worsen is known as preventive care. Health is perhaps our most precious asset. Just like we tend to our house, our car, and other physical assets, it is even more important to nurture and care for our health.
What is Preventive Care?
Preventive care includes a whole host of things. We are all accustomed to going for annual check-ups, as well as taking our family, these also fall into the category of preventive care. Other than this, when we go for immunizations, flu shots and even tests and screenings, we are availing preventive care services. The overall category is also frequently called routine care. In fact, the two terms are used interchangeably.
Preventive Care Vs Diagnostic Care
Preventive care and diagnostic care are two terms that are often used in an interchangeable manner. However, the two are actually quite different from one another. In diagnostic care, usually the focus of attention is on something specific which the doctor is attempting to confirm. In order to be able to clearly differentiate between the two consider the situation in which a mammogram has been advised by a doctor for a follow-up. The follow-up would be for a condition that would have been discovered during preventive care and the mammogram would then fall under the category of diagnostic care.
Frequency of Primary Care Services
Services that fall under this umbrella vary greatly in terms of the frequency with which they are administered. For instance, the annual check-up as the name indicates is to be performed once a year, as are flu shots. However, mammograms aren’t needed for those under a certain age limit.
Benefits of Preventive Care
Routine care holds quite a lot of significance in maintaining our health in the best of shape. Preventive care guidelines have been formulated with a lot of thought and consideration, and that is for your benefit.
- - It helps you stay as healthy as possible.
- - Often times, there is no cost associated with preventive care services, as it is often covered completely by comprehensive insurance plans.
- - Early detection can be very beneficial as it helps in the provision of treatment and care that is proactive. It is often easier to treat conditions if they are caught in the early stages, rather than try dealing with them when they have become much more advanced.
- - Availing these services makes it much more easier to stay focused on whatever health goals you have set for yourself.
- - Allows for the coordination of tests and shots that are suitable for you considering your family history and health condition.